Friday, April 13, 2012

My loves: Bread and Jesus

I'm super excited to share with you this cookbook and website I found!! My dear mother bought this cookbook for me called The Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook by Elana Amsterdam. I was so excited when I looked at the recipes, seeing I could make basically every one of them, that I cried. Yes, I cried because of a cookbook. :)

Elana Amsterdam has been creating recipes especially for those who are on a gluten free diet, but kindly cutting out the sugar and dairy as well. Please, please go check out her website where she has so many recipes that will definitely get your mouth watering! http://www.elanaspantry.com/gluten-free-recipes/beverages/ 
I do have to change a couple of the ingredients to fit my diet so these are the changes:
-Heavy Cream=Almond Milk or Coconut Milk
-Agave Nectar=Honey
-Arrowroot Powder=Either I just cut in all out or add a tiny bit more almond flour.
In the recipes I post I will note the changes I made.


Scrumptious Sandwich Bread-Elana Amsterdam

3/4c creamy roasted almond butter, at room temperature
4 large eggs
1/4c blanched almond flour (I used 1/3c because I left out the arrowroot powder. Result? Perfection!)
1/4c arrowroot powder (I didn't add this)
1/2tsp sea salt
1/2tsp baking soda
1Tb ground flax meal (I didn't add this)

  Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease a 7x3" loaf pan with olive oil and dust with almond flour. ( I actually used parchment paper because I find it's just easier to get the bread out of the pan and it worked wonderfully)
  In a large bowl, mix the almond butter with a handheld mixer until smooth, then blend in the eggs. In a medium bowl, combine the almond flour, arrowroot powder, salt, baking soda, and flax meal. Blend the almond flour mixture into the wet ingredients until thoroughly combined. pour the batter into the loaf pan.
  Bake for 40-45 minutes on the bottom rack of the oven, until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Let the bread cool in the pan for 1 hour, then serve.


  Ok, first things first, again I accidentally had some sugar in my diet.....blah. The result? Nausea, frequent stomach aches, and a bleeding colon. Not fun. But it's leaving my body quicker than I had thought, thanks to the prayers of my friends and family.
  I think the hardest part of these last three or four weeks is the difficulty in gaining any weight. I had been gaining weight rather quickly and was up to 107 then for some reason dropped down to 102. I have been stuck at 104.5 (My usual or healthy weight is 120lbs) now for three-four weeks now and it gets me stumped. I'm eating quite a bit but can't gain anything. I would really like to start fitting into my clothes again, but I guess I just have to be patient and I sure wouldn't mind your prayers for a rapid weight gain!! :)
  There is nothing like music that touches and speaks to my heart in such a powerful way. When I find a song that does that, I listen to it over and over and over and ooover again! My song of the week has been "Find You On My Knees" by Kari Jobe. In fact, I'm listening to it on repeat as I write!! It's a song I can sing to that speaks what my heart is feeling and I can pour myself out at Jesus's feet. Then He comes and He gives me such joy and peace I end up laughing and singing the song to Him as a thank you. It's so good.



That's just what my Daddy does,  He lifts me up and He never leaves me searching no matter what. Oh He makes me happy!

Psalm 46:1-3
~Elise

1 comment: